Difference in Medicare Plans

You will find Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B will take care of a good portion of your medical needs when you are a senior, but not everything is taken care of. You will still have to pay for various copayments and deductibles that may come up. Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B will only cover 80% of the hospital costs, doctors’ fees and medical procedures you may need in a medical situation. The remaining 20% will be your responsibility and this can have a drain on your budget and savings. Other costs not utilized are vision and hearing tests, prescription drugs a doctor may feel you need and foreign health care if you travel outside the United States. These will all be your medical costs to take care of.

An Aetna Medicare supplement will take care of the additional 20% expenses. These plans are all different and cover various expenses. There are two plans, one being Medicare supplement plans and the other Medicare Advantage Plans, to help a senior. One needs to look carefully to see what benefits they will offer you for your care.

Medicare supplement plans work with your Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B and there are 10 plans to assist in the extra costs. You must have Medicare Part A and Part B to utilize these plans. Also you will need a separate Medicare Part D plan to help with your prescription drugs that may be needed for your health care, which is not included in a Medicare supplement plan.

A Medicare Advantage Plan incorporates Medicare Part A and Part B so you are still covered by Medicare and will have many of the same benefits. To have a Medicare Advantage Plan you will have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. The area in which you live will be a determining factor and you must not have end stage renal disease with some exceptions. You may have coverage for vision, hearing and dental care available and also your prescription drugs may also be covered.

Medicare supplement plans, as well as, Medicare Advantage Plans are provided by private insurance agencies. The cost of the monthly premiums for these plans will all depend on the area in which you live and which plan you choose. The plans are standardized, but their monthly premiums will be determined by the insurance company and can vary greatly. One must examine each plan to see what will cover your individual medical needs.